Contact Us:

The NANA Gravel Resource Program is managed by the Natural Resources Department.

Phone: 1-800-478-3301                         E-mail:


Frequently Asked Questions:

1. What forms or documentation are needed for gravel sales?

Complete a Gravel Request Form.  You may also need to complete a Material Site Permit and Plan Checklist.  Once you have submitted the Gravel Request Form to the Gravel Natural Resource Specialist, you will be notified of any further information required.


NANA will not authorize a gravel sale unless all forms are completed in full, and all required information submitted.  It is the responsibility of the buyer to submit a gravel request several months in advance before gravel is needed, as it may take 2-3 months to fully process a request.


2. How much does the gravel cost?

NANA sells gravel for $3.00/cubic yard (cy).


3. How do I transport the gravel?

NANA is not responsible for gravel transportation or developing or maintaining access routes to gravel.


4. What is NANA’s policy on personal use?

NANA allows shareholders to obtain gravel free of charge (transportation not included) on a case-by-case basis depending on whether the pit is openIn order for a pit to be considered open it needs to be permitted and there needs to be a NANA-approved Mining and Reclamation Plan in place.


The sale of gravel obtained for personal use purposes is not allowed.  Material obtained under the personal use category is for small projects at and around a shareholders primary residence or home.  Gravel will not be provided free of charge if the home also serves as a place of business.


Once a personal use request is approved NANA will issue a Letter of Authorization that will enable shareholders to obtain gravel at a designated gravel pit.  The personal user will need to report back to NANA the actual amount of gravel taken.  It is important to note that gravel may not be available in all villages or some sites may be closed.

Some material sites may be managed by a local entity (ex. the Tribal Government).  (See FAQ #10 below for more info)


5. What about asbestos contaminated gravel in the region?

There is naturally occurring asbestos (NOA) gravel at Dahl Creek and Ambler.  At this time, access and use of this gravel is restricted.  If you are interested in using NOA gravel, please contact the NOA Program to determine requirements.


6. Can gravel be obtained from beaches and rivers in the region?

You will need to contact the Alaska Department of Natural Resources for further information as these areas are outside of NANA’s jurisdiction.  For more information (including useful links) about obtaining state-owned gravel visit the NANA Obtaining Gravel from State Resources webpage.


7. Who is responsible for the permits?

Buyer, local manager, or user shall secure all permits and other authorizations as may be required by governmental authorities.


8. Can I take sand and gravel from any part of NANA lands?

No, sand and gravel can only be taken from designated sand and gravel pits.


9. Useful facts about measuring gravel (as provided on the Alaska Department of Natural Resources Fact Sheet on Material Sales in Alaska) :

  • A full size pickup bed can hold approximately one cubic yard.
  • A standard dump truck has a capacity of 10-12 cubic yards.
  • The standard capacity of a belly dump is approximately 18-20 cubic yards.
  • One Cubic Yard = 1.5 Tons (approximate)




10. Material Sites managed/operated by Local Entities

In some cases a material site may be managed/operated by a local entity such as a Tribe/IRA.  Contact NANA to determine whether a site is managed by a local entity.  If a local entity is the site manager, they are the only approved operator in the pit and has the authority to set any fees associated with mining and providing gravel to a buyer.