Obtaining Gravel from State Resources

Fact Sheet: Material Sales in Alaska


Application to Buy State Sand/Gravel for a PROJECT


Application to Buy State Sand/Gravel for PERSONAL USE


Risk Questionnaire for Gravel from State Lands


Letter of Intent/Annual Reclamation Statement

Some communities may be able to purchase sand and gravel from the state. The state does not donate sand and gravel except, on a limited basis, for specific state projects (some airstrips, some roads, etc.).


State Material Sites on state-owned land

State sand and gravel purchases are managed through the Alaska Department of Natural Resources (Division of Mining, Land & Water). Contact ADNR’s Public Information Center for assistance with purchasing sand and gravel on state land. You will be required to submit an application, a reclamation plan, and an environmental risk questionnaire.  All of these documents are available under the “Useful Links” section.


The Alaska Department of Transportation may (though not always) have a developed/permitted material site near your project. See the “Useful Links” section for more information on mining sand and gravel on state land.